Cardiac rehab is a program personalised by your Physiotherapist to strengthen your heart and make long-term lifestyle changes so you can live a longer, healthier life following a heart event. It can help lower your chances of having heart problems in the future.
Some reasons for partaking in a cardiac rehab program are if you’ve had:
- Coronary heart disease
- A heart attack or angina
- A stent procedure/ heart surgery( bypass, valve or artery surgerry)
- Heart failure and cardiomyopathy
- Pacemaker or implanted defibrillator
- In-heart electrical rhythm problems, such as atrial fibrillation
- High blood pressure in your lungs (pulmonary hypertension)
- Stroke or mini stroke (TIA)
Some exercises your physiotherapist might include are:
- Resistance training
If you have completed a cardiac program through a hospital and/or would like to improve your cardiovascular fitness please get in contact with us and one of our physiotherapist can work with you to help you get back to your usual activities.